Pages

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Fabrics, buttons, oh my!

One of my favorite activities to do with my mom and grandma is to go down to the garment district in LA. It's been an activity of ours for as long as I can remember and I'm going to really miss it.  Amah always gets so into searching for the right fabrics and patterns to match whatever project she's working on and my mom is always searching for good deals with buttons, zippers, etc.  I always start out ambitious, wanting to make a dress, a skirt, maybe a bag...but then I always get really overwhelmed with the sheer amount of options I have.  The colors, the fabrics, the textures, the patterns and even the prices!  It really does take a strong mind to succeed on this shopping trip.


This shop is one of the most long-lasting and institutional shops around...super clean and organized.


...this shop, not so much.  Literally, piles of fabric and bolts with more piles of zippers, decals, sequins, buttons and odd ends alike strewn all over the place.

And of course, one of my favorite aspects of downtown?  The food!  As a tip, don't pay more than $3 for one of these babies.  And make sure you get the ones with avocado salsa!  You'll regret if you don't!


My Bacon-Wrapped Hotdog.


Mom's tacos.  Mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment