Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

7 Month Festival

Out in the "Heartlands" (basically, not the center of Singapore but where most locals live out in), there has been a noticeable bustling-about that even foreigners like myself would be curious about.  Loud, abrasive music and people shouting along with strung lights and candles being bit around...

Apparently, it's that time of year when the ghosts come out.  Grace has this slight "thing" where she can see ghosts and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I want to know if they're around!  I've been wanting to take some photos lately just to mention it but I am very intimidated to do so...is it allowed?  Is it disrespectful?  Why are people staring at me?


I think part of my apprehension is due to the fact that there's also been a funeral being conducted downstairs of my building.  Funerals here are a week long process where they set up tables and alters with photos of the deceased.  They put up banners and decorations while serving food for people who come and go.  It confused me because to my blind eyes, it seemed like a more jovial, colorful celebration rather than the somber ones (in all black) I'm used to in the States.

Anyways, Grace and Ky were pretty appalled when I tried explaining my confusion of whether I could take photos, so I waited until I was walking home with them last night to take the "correct" photos of the 7 Months celebration, which consisted of traditional opera shows and even modern performances of song and dance.




Look at that audience!  I hope I don't see any ghosts!

2 comments:

  1. actually, it is 7th month (as in the 7th month of the lunar calendar) instead of 7 months.

    ReplyDelete